GRATITUDE FOR GOOD
A Blog by Gratitude Alliance
(Reposted from The Gracias Foundation, now called Global Gratitude Alliance)
A chocolate chip cookie. A few minutes’ happiness and peace with a mug of tea, coffee or after school. But it can be so much more! This particular tasty treat has helped with fundraising via our "Cakes for Kids" bake sales which helped raise almost $2400 for the Jelly Tots Educare Center in South Africa.
These pre-school children now have mattresses for nap-time and no longer have to sleep on the floor. Work is beginning on the playground to provide safe play and extending learning opportunities. And their parents can work to support their households, safe in the knowledge that younger family members are cared for in a safe, educational environment.
Here’s the recipe for our delicious chewy cookies. Make them for yourself, your family or hold a bake sale for your favourite cause. Share some sweetness and joy!
1/2 cup (100g) butter
1/2 cup (100g) shortening or more butter
3/4 cup (175 ml) white sugar
3/4 cup (175 ml) brown sugar (or muscovado sugar)
1 teaspoon (5 ml) liquid vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups (550 ml) white flour
1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking soda
1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
12-oz (300-350g) pack of semi-sweet chocolate chips
* Cream together butter, shortening, white sugar, and brown sugar. Add vanilla and mix well.
* Stir in eggs, one at a time.
* In another bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, and salt. We like to use a pinch more salt than 1 tsp - to add balance to the sweetness of the cookies.
* Stir in flour mixture, a little at a time. Mix well.
* Add chocolate chips and whatever other goodies you want
* Drop in spoonfuls onto baking pan
* Bake @ 350 Celsius (180 Fahrenheit) for 8-10minutes.
Hint: Take out of the oven the second you see the tops of the cookies barely getting golden, or even just before. The second the top is barely light brown, it's too late - your cookies won't be soft and chewy after they cool.